Monday, April 2, 2012

Walk A Mile

So in an earlier post I mentioned one of my team won a really big award. It's such a big deal, trip to NY, ceremonies, rings, trophy, lots and lots of recognition. (I'm really frustrated because there are just no words that properly express how huge this is.)

Anyway, he's been dodging me. I need to book the flights - he did tell me a week ago he would take his wife. I need his ring size, a decent picture and a short bio.  I have deadlines and as of Friday they passed.

At first he told me he couldn't go. Now, keep this in mind, this whole thing is set smack dab in the middle of the week of graduations out in California.  It's not the best time of the year for this. Last time one of my team won, he couldn't go because his step daughter was graduating.  I still haven't heard the end of that. Anyway, this year my guy told me he couldn't go because his wife couldn't go. Family obligation - someone was graduating.

I cannot begin to tell you how much hell I was given because of that. It was like I was trying to keep him from going. I finally worked thru all of his issues and the trip was on.  I told him he needed to bring his stuff with him on Wednesday last week so we could get everything finalized. I had a deadline, don't cha know.

Wednesday that guy was a ghost. I never even heard him come back. Thursday? Nada.  Friday I waited on the dock for him. He was not getting away from me. As we sat down, I knew what he was going to say. I just knew it. He's not going. No way. No how.

Oh, he understands what a big deal the award is, he is just not getting on a plane and flying to NY. He doesn't want all that attention. HE IS TERRIFIED.

And I get it. He's never been out of California. Has never wanted to leave. He is comfortable with is world and has no desire to expand it. Now, that part I don't get, but I do see why it's all so over whelming. I really do.

So today I have to inform that powers that be that for the 2nd time one of my team will not be coming to the ceremony. They will not understand. I will be in big trouble. And I will take the hits. I have to. I cannot make him go, no one can. They can't even give him grief for his decision. But they can make my life a living hell. And they will.

I just wish instead of worryin' about how it looks they look at it from his point of view. I will make a big deal here, with his friends looking on and we'll put on a nice show to celebrate his accomplishment. And it will mean the world to him. The people that matter to him will be there. Not a bunch of strangers that he'll never see again.

Deep down inside, I'm jealous. This award is the one that's been illusive for me. I'd do anything for this opportunity. But then again, I'm an entirely different animal than my employee is. I have different goals, walk a different path.  I just wish these folks that will be coming down on me this week would just try to walk a mile in his shoes.....would make everyones life a whole lot easier.

2 comments:

  1. They need to ease up. If it were that important to THEM, THEY would do something for HIM at home. If it's truly about HIM, they need to step up to the plate and fly someone over there and make a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bou makes a good point, however I can't grasp the not wanting to leave.

    ReplyDelete