Saturday, March 10, 2012

Closure

I *REALLY* wanted to go to the wake for Lex last night in San Diego. I mean I REALLY wanted to go. I had visions of everyone sitting around, sharing stories, laughs and some tears. I needed that.

So I got permission to leave the trade show early (and trust me, that damned show is another post all together) and headed to San Diego. Anaheim to San Diego is, while not a rough drive, FULL of traffic. And on a Friday? Oh crap....it can get ugly.

I left the show at 3:30. Finally got to my car at 3:50 (don't ask, again another post) and hit the road. I had almost passed out at one point of the show because I hadn't had anything to drink but 4 cups of coffee that day and not one bite to eat. I was terrified I would either pass out or embarrass myself if I didn't eat something so I took a few minutes to grab a meal at the wheel. I pulled off The 5 in San Diego at 5:50. Finally found a parking place at 6:15.

Now the parking story is one Lex would have loved. Everyone knows I can't park. Well, if I can simply pull in it's pretty good, but parallel? Not so much. Parallel on a hill? I have to say, until last night I had never even attempted it.

But it was the only choice. And I was NOT going to miss this. And guess what? After 4 or 5 tries, I did it. I, Tammi parallel parked on a hill and did not hit or damage anything.

Like I said, I wasn't going to miss this.

Now, I have to say, I've been to a lot of blog meets, and while that isn't what this was, it was close. A lot of folks that do actually know each other, but mostly, just names and comments on a screen. And I went alone. I don't normally do that. I usually have someone that I know or that knows me. Not last night. And it was hard. It was awkward.

I did get to shake a couple of hands, and have a glass of wine. I looked around and didn't see anyone I knew by face. Then a gentleman came up and started talking to me. And I was finally able to share a story or two. And hear his stories.

Then, much to my surprise I had the opportunity to offer my sympathy to Lex' family. I didn't expect that. They were everything I expected from reading, and so much more. It was brief, as is appropriate, but I got to tell his son how amazing his father was. I got to tell his wife I am praying for her family.

And then I went home. It was short. The drive took twice as long as the visit. But it had been a long day and today is going to be longer. I'm not so young anymore so I needed my rest. But I am so glad I pushed myself out of my comfort zone. I'm so glad I made that drive.

I toasted my friend. I shared a story or two. It was, in a word, comforting. I hope and pray the family and those who knew him well find comfort in just how many people loved and admired him.

6 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you got there. I'm even more glad you were able to meet his family and express your condolences. (have you talked to Bou about this? I think it would be a comfort to her to know).

    I thought about going to the "Boston" meet. But damn if they didn't have it in Cambridge... CAMBRIDGE of all the hideously awful places to try and get around or park or anything. I have been there a few times and each time I get out I swear I'll never go back - it's dreadful. So I lifted a glass in honor of Lex last night at home. It wasn't the same as a meet up, but I'm not still lost in Cambridge. heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was worth the drive for me. And I have talked with Bou a few times now. I knew she'd be at least a little comforted with what I saw and heard. We had a nice talk yesterday afternoon......I will just say this, I did miss y'all at that. I'm way out of practice socializing with folks I don't know at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you have had a chance to talk to her and tell her about your meet up.

    Things have changed a lot in blogland haven't they. Sadly it's a normal evolution but it would be nice to go back to those days when we knew each other better through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the closest to closure I'm going to get here is through Turk's wife. She gives me hope for their family...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They announced the arrangements last night.

    FUNERAL SERVICES
    March 27th at 1pm
    Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery
    San Diego, CA

    I'm going to try very hard to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were able to make it. Ironically, I was in San Diego Monday through Wednesday but couldn't stay longer, and didn't find out about Lex's passing until I had landed back in Minnesota. And I can't make the funeral either.

    It's nice to connect with you again after all these years though! Even if it took something like this for that to happen.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete