Friday, March 23, 2012

It's All an Illusion

Years ago, when I left Florida, I remember posting of that emotional journey. (side note: wish I could still access those posts)  I had left the Midwest years before and started over again. I had worked so hard and part of my reward was I was finally living in a very nice home in a very nice area.  I felt safe, and I enjoyed entertaining.  Hell, I enjoyed it so much I hosted the very first Bad Example Family Reunion.

Anyway, I had reason to worry. I moved, with my puppy Cody (who I still miss btw) to a small town in Illinois, to be closer to Mama Vi. I lived in a hovel. It was horrible. We called it the shoebox. I won't go into details but it was, hands down one of the worst places I ever lived in. But they took my dog, and it was not terribly far from my new job, so I rented it.

From there it did get better.  But I was never really anywhere I loved. I mean really loved. Where I was both proud to entertain and safe. Those two things are important to me.  The final home in the Midwest I called Paradise. And I did love certain things of that. It was an older home, and I loved the character. I loved the sun porch. A lot. But I hated that the basement flooded. A lot. I hated the bathroom. And it was loud. I couldn't have the windows open and hear the TV because the traffic was so loud.

Fast forward to my move to California.  I had 2 weeks after accepting the job to get out here, a 5 day drive, and find a place to live. Oh, and I had been unemployed for 9 months so I also had only my relo money to make that happen.  On top of that I had never been to this area. Ever. I was given a name of a town, and being terrified of the traffic I chose something in that town. An apartment. 2 bed 2 bath, newly remodeled. Seemed ok in the beginning. Then I discovered the noise, oh you have no clue. And then the home invasions started. Car theft. Oh, and there was that body they found in a suitcase in the dumpster thing. Yeah, that kinda freaked me out.

So after 2 years of hating it, I moved. I found a place that reminds me of Bradenton Florida, along the coast. Laid back atmosphere. A bit of a drive, but worth it. I just take care of phone calls.  It's a large (especially for SoCal) 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath townhouse and in a great area. I'm on "Money Mountain" which is just along the coast, up in the foothills. As you drive up the hill you pass some beautiful large homes with killer views. Me? I'm tucked into the hill, no REAL water view, but it's quiet. And comfortable. I love it.

And it's known for being safe. No gate, but no need. The police patrol this place A LOT. It's a real community - with the drama that goes with it, but I just keep to my self and they all pretty much leave me alone now.

I feel so safe here that twice now I've woke up in the morning only to realize I didn't just leave my front door unlocked but standing wide open!  Stupid I know, but it's a true testament of how safe I feel.

Or felt. Got an email earlier this week from the land lord. Seems there is some guy going around early in the morning knocking on doors.  Hoodie, dirty jeans and if you walk up to him he runs away.  Kinda suspicious, don't cha think?!  Made me start double checking I locked my doors every night again.

Then this morning......around 5:30 there is a knock on MY door.  Really? You want to go there?  So, yes, I'm still sleeping downstairs right now, I got up off the couch and wandered to the front window.  Opened the blinds very dramatically and opened the window. (I think the sight of me, that early, just waking up was more dramatic than the opening of the blinds, but go with me on this will ya!)

Scared the HELL out of that guy. And yes, there he stood. Hoodie pulled up, looking around my front patio and standing at my door.  As the window opened and I said, very groggy, Hey!, he turned and took off thru my front gate like the hounds of hell were on his heels.

Damn.......kinda pissed me off.  Now, I have no doubt they'll get this guy. And no one really knows what he wants. Could be anything. I just know I don't want to find out first hand. But in the meantime I have to become more diligent on locking my garage, locking my house and, well, just using common sense.

But I loved leaving my back sliders open. I love the breeze. I don't have air conditioning, don't need it. Well, at least I didn't.......I sure hope they catch him soon.

1 comment:

  1. That's frightening! And the fact that it ruins what had been an idyllic setting, your safe place... has to make you angry. Even I feel like beating the stuffing out of someone that stupid...

    Door locking is a must, with or without hoodie guy... ;)

    ReplyDelete