Saturday, March 24, 2012

Psych

Growing up, Mama Vi seemed to always know what I was up to. It was incredibly frustrating. Seriously. It never failed, if I were doing something wrong, some how she always knew about it. By the time I hit High School I had given up even trying to hide things. It was an exercise in futility. I think she would have preferred that I behave, but that wasn't going to happen. It was just easier to 'fess up.

I tend to take the path of least resistance.

Anyway.....I could never figure out how she did it. How on earth did she know this stuff? Who was snitching on me? I'd ask her and she'd just smile that smug Mama smile and tell me "I have my ways".  Ohhhh so aggravating.

Flash forward to a couple of weeks ago. One of my guys won a pretty big award. A huge honor and the ceremony is in New York. They fly you and a guest to NYC, with all sorts of pomp and circumstance.  Included in that is a trip to Times Square with dinner.  Like I said, a big deal.

After announcing this wonderful accomplishment in our big meeting I was walking back to my office. As I reached the door I, oh so rudely, hollered across the room, "Hey C! Bring that entire packet with you on Monday so we can make your travel arrangements.  It doesn't matter who you take - your wife, girlfriend, doesn't matter. I just need names and such." Then I walked into my office.

What I didn't know was that the entire room when silent when I left. Seems, somehow I had stumbled across someones little secret.  Everyone was sitting in stunned silence, frantic glances shared between them. "How did she know? Who told the boss C has a girlfriend?!"  I have been told that they are plenty panicked. And not just a little amazed at my powers of observation and ability to "know" things.

Folks? I was kidding. Joking. Being sarcastic. I had no idea. None. Not my business. (don't approve, but it's not my business) I was just being.....Tammi. A bit of a smartass while trying to get things done.

But they are just sure that I knew/know and I'm being told when they are tempted to do something "wrong" the often made comment is "Hell no! Tammi will find out for sure! She knows everything!"

Ah Ha! Busted!!! And I am talking about Mom not my employees! Now I know how she did it. She didn't have secret sources. She wasn't psychic. She was just sarcastic and waited for my guilty conscious to do the work for her.

Although I will admit to being just a little disappointed. I like thinking she had super powers. Seems it was just an overabundance of sarcasm with a little luck sprinkled in for good measure.

Oh, that doesn't mean I'm not going to take advantage of this "gift". Hell no. I plan on working this for all it's worth. Like I always say, Mama didn't raise no fool.

3 comments:

  1. Just don't tell her that you've learned her secret... ;)

    Oh, and thanks for the RSS feed thingy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hunh! So... which is he taking?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll find out Monday. I think his wife because he needs me to make the arrangements, and I don't think he wants to open that door.

      Delete