Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ode to Coffee

As I recover from a pretty stressful couple of weeks, and prepare to start my day today, I find myself really enjoying my coffee this morning.  And by really enjoying, I mean REALLY enjoying.

More than usual.

See, I love a good cup of coffee. But I've discovered that most everyone defines "good cup of coffee" in different ways. Some just want it strong and black. Some want all the fu-fu stuff. Others, well, they just don't get it.

In a perfect world, Tammi's World, I would once again own my Grinder Coffee pot. Seriously, there is nothing better than a cup of coffee made from freshly ground beans. Nothing. And the selection of beans to choose from, well, it just puts me in a very happy place.

I am currently the owner of one of them there Keurig Single Cup pots.  Good coffee. Really good coffee. Just a bit inconvenient if you are going to want more than 1 or 2 cups but no waste.  Well, except for the mountains of little plastic cups.  Big downside? Yeah....really expensive. I really have cut back on how much I drink at home and I still go thru 1-2 boxes a week. And a box is $8 - $9. Yeah....huh, still cheaper than a Starbucks every day but......Ouch.

Now, for the first 2 years I lived out here, I had a regular 12 cup pot. It was...fine. I tried to grind the beans ahead of time but the neighbors complained about the noise. Fine. I just went to regular preground coffee.

But I wanted more............better...............satisfaction in the morning.

So I bought the fancy machine. Again, I looked at the grinder pots. But I would have had to keep my kitchen window closed because sound travels like crazy here. I'm pretty sure my fancy neighbors wouldn't have been too happy so I "settled". And like I said.....it's fine.

But there are mornings, like today, I really Really REALLY want a great cup of coffee. Actually, I *need* a great cup of coffee. And I'm finding that is exactly what I have. It's Green Mountain Nantucket blend. Not too strong. Not bitter at all. Perfection.

And I think, as I read thru my ramblings here, that when it's all said and done a great cup of coffee is whatever you want it to be. It's more about the atmosphere, for me quiet, serene, gentle if I may say so. Coffee is the starting point of the day. And if we are lucky enough to have the chance to actually enjoy it, every cup has the potential to be great.

9 comments:

  1. Wait...

    "I tried to grind the beans ahead of time but the neighbors complained about the noise."

    Seriously? That sort of boggles my mind. What about the television, stereo, hair dryer, etc...?

    Coffee is excellent, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's the downside of "giving a shit". I need to learn how to stop doing that! lol

      Delete
  2. That's too bad - about neighbors I mean. I love my two cups of coffee in the morning. I'm in Florida so most mornings that is on the screened porch - before anybody else is up. If I can't have those two cups in the morning - in the quiet - I am not a nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the wife a Keurig a couple years ago and I love it, and I'm a tea guy. I don't get how a grinder can bother the neighbors. It's only for a few seconds, and I agree about the "give a shit". It can't be that big of a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Keurig isn't really for someone who drinks the quantities of coffee you drink! Bwhahahaha! You need a a Keurig where the little cup is gallon sized. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You *DO* remember! I sure wish I could find that post.....but you'd be proud to know I keep it at 2 cups at home during the week 3 on the weekends. I know! Can you believe it?! Only took 9 years.....I wonder if that doctor retired yet. I'm ready for step 2! lol

      Delete
    2. Remember? Hell yeah! You were drinking a few pots a day. I was like, "Tammi. Your heart is going to stop... you're going to have a heart attack!" Sheesh! That's why when I read YOU had a Keurig I was like, "Holy crap! That is classic! Bwahahahahaha!"

      I'm picturing the Tammi Keurig. It's about the size of a stove because the little plastic thing would have to be the size of a jug of water...

      Delete
  5. I should probably explain, those first 2 years were in a horrible apartment. My day starts at 3:00am. I can hear the neighbors open and close their kitchen cabinet doors, paper thin walls. That 3am grind woke their kids up. I figured it was best to be considerate.

    Here? I live in a townhouse, but the courtyards are attached and all concrete. If I have the window open in the kitchen you can hear my TV like you're in the living room! That coffee pot going off at 3am would have been a huge "noise violation". I know this because they already called the cops on me for sitting on my patio on the phone at 5am. Don't need another one of those surprise visits......

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you do ever get another 12-cup, try using the same amount of grounds, but just half a pot of water.

    Nothing but pure, rich coffee flavor. Guarantee it'll blow your mind and you'll never make a full pot again.

    Oh, and remove the grounds as soon as it's done. That makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete